Re:David Kellner video using F# tuning on 10-string (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:David Kellner video using F# tuning on 10-string
Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
David Kellner video using F# tuning on 10-string 7 Months ago Karma: 3  
Here's a short video of a David Kellner piece you don't hear too often. I'm using an alto-guitar score but playing the piece on my 10-string with a tuning up to F#, basically making my 10-string guitar like a quasi-alto guitar.

Thanks to James Smith for introducing me to this tuning. I have tried many tunings on my 10-string and prefer this most.
https://youtu.be/XjYWQ6yopr4

Glen

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:David Kellner video using F# tuning on 10-string 6 Months, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 1  
Hello, Glen,
A nicely turned performance, congratulations!
I do very strongly recommend this tone-up F# tuning for 10s instruments. Even my 10s Ramirez sounds better with this tuning. The tuning corresponds to what a lutenist would call, "G at 415 c/s". A 10s becomes a much better balanced instrument with this tuning. Another advantage of the half tone down from modern G is that it is welcomed by singers performing renaissance and baroque.
On the whole, I tend to believe one should respect original keys/pitch, but I have found that I prefer playing baroque lute pieces a tone up, i.e., reading from a score that corresponds to performance on an E-tuned 10s, but using a 10s in F#. The pieces are brighter and have greater clarity, at least to my ears.
I have not been contributing due to my Epson printer failing. Justin and I communicate by email, and I find that I have to work from a printed copy to check typesetting. My 13 years old G4 Mac continues to work perfectly, but current printers will not interface with such an old Mac. On enquiring about a new Mac of suitable screen size, I was somewhat suprised to find that the total cost for a Mac plus printer plus the latest version of Microsoft Office would come to over £3,000. Although I am neither poor, nor, I hope, mean, this seemed an excessive amount to pay to get a printer costing under £100 ... . So, Justin is searching for a working second hand printer. Once this is found, I will be posting a suite by Robert de Visée.
James.

Sten (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:David Kellner video using F# tuning on 10-string 6 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 4  
Glen,

Good show and well played!

Sten

Go to top Post Reply