Tickbox for luthiers
List of altoguitar recordings
Personal message system
Working memberlist
Connections
New forum
New Gallery
New download section

Be sure to read the message SITE UPDATED in the forums.

Main Menu
Home
Forum
Downloads
Gallery
Recordings
Links
Contact Us
Login
We have 6 guests and 1 member online
Support altoguitar.com
Forum
Re:Bronze wound strings (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Bronze wound strings
Ronin Minstrel (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Bronze wound strings 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Hi James,

I've noticed the interest among other members of this forum in transcriptions of works from many genres as well. It's part of why I feel at home here, being a person of eclectic and varied tastes myself.

I've started to appreciate and learn more about American songbook standards myself during the past few years. I agree that the alto is perfect for transcriptions of these, since our home keys are Eb, Bb, F, and Ab (concert pitch). Singers love these keys! Not to mention horn players such as you might find in a big band setting. The potential for transcriptions here is really quite staggering. When I've learned my current batch of tunes, I will give your Jerome Kern transcription a try. A friend of mine who is a jazz singer recently gave me a copy of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in lead sheet format. When I'm ready to do a transcription of my own in this genre, I think that's where I'll begin.

As for the trio, we just did a concert at a local college and recorded the whole thing. I will keep you posted if we decide to publish any of it. The alto is on the first half of the concert, for Mompou, Faure, Debussy, and a couple of movie themes. At the very least I'm sure some of it will end up on YouTube. I'll post a link when it is.

Thanks for all your feedback, encouragement, and interest. Not to mention all those nice transcriptions in the sheet music section. That's an impressive body of work.

Sean

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Bronze wound strings 1 Month ago Karma: 1  
Hello, Sean,
With regard to coloured strings, one really only needs a coloured 7th. So, one packet of appropriate bronzes at a time is the requirement. Once you have been playing for some time, even this minimal help is not necessary.
In my experience, it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to overcome the undermining of visual cues in moving to a multi-guitar, and somewhere around 3 to 6 months to develop thumb reliability for the bass strings. The less one plays a 6s over this period, the quicker and more secure one becomes.
The lutenists have some useful techniques regarding thumb technique for multi-course instruments. Usually, let the thumb come to rest on the next highest string, thus one knows where the thumb is. Although as a 6s player one uses the thumb for strings 4 to 6, where the thumb is having to find a number of sub-basses, it is often useful to use, where appropriate, one's 1st finger for strings 4 to 6. This saves having the thumb make large jumps.
If you have not already found him on You Tube, Mark Bueno plays some baroque lute music on a 13s guitar tuned like a 13c baroque lute. There are some useful close-ups of his right hand. He plays beautifully on a very fine instrument by Lucio Nunez. I think LN is a maker in Texas.
I imagine we all look forward to anything you can put on You Tube.
I probably should get my hand-written versions of 20's/30's standards typed up.
James.

Ronin Minstrel (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Bronze wound strings 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
James,

Thanks you for your insight. Using just one colored string is a nice idea, one I will probably try.

I have been using thumb rest strokes whenever possible, and it's been a big help. I will try to use more i finger on strings 4-6, I can already think of a piece where this will be of help.

Mark Bueno's Weiss videos on YouTube are really good. He is definitely one of the people that inspired my transition to a multi string guitar.

I'd love to see some of those 20s and 30s transcriptions. As for me, gig season is settling down, and I hope to focus on developing my alto rep., and doing some transcriptions of my own.

Best,
Sean

tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Bronze wound strings 4 Weeks, 1 Day ago Karma: 1  
Sean,
I will make a start on tidying up some of my 20's/30's manuscript pieces. They will get fitted in between more classical items lined up for my son, Justin, to typeset.
A problem that can arise with this genre, and works by Kern are frequent examples, is change of key in the middle of a piece. The opening key may fit the alto well, but the changed may or may not fit so well.
All the best with the gigs!
James.

Ronin Minstrel (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Bronze wound strings 4 Weeks, 1 Day ago Karma: 0  
Thank you, James!

Sean

Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks, 3 Days ago Karma: 3  
A little late to reply to this ...

I had my alto guitar's 8th string extension removed and a new nut made that goes across 8 strings instead of the traditional 7. Now that the 8th string is shorter it requires a thicker string and after experimenting I found that the Aranjuez 7th string from their 10-string set = .053 and is bronze-wound. Not only is it the perfect diameter for this purpose but the color is different from all the surrounding silver-wound strings and makes it easy to distinguish which bass is which with a quick glance down at the strings.

On my 10-string guitar I use a tuning James introduced me to that is up a whole step to F#. To achieve the same effect that I described above for my 8th string I needed to find a 6th string from a set that is a bronze color. I ended up ordering Hannabach Gold. They are expensive strings but are the perfect color and have a wonderful tone. You can order the strings individually, so no need to buy an entire set.

Here is a link to Hannabach Gold strings at Strings By Mail
https://tinyurl.com/y8ft5ttk

Last Edit: 2017/11/01 05:44 By Glen.
Go to top Post Reply