Tickbox for luthiers
List of altoguitar recordings
Personal message system
Working memberlist
Connections
New forum
New Gallery
New download section

Be sure to read the message SITE UPDATED in the forums.

Main Menu
Home
Forum
Downloads
Gallery
Recordings
Links
Contact Us
Login
We have 6 guests and 1 member online
Support altoguitar.com
Forum
Re:Bronze wound strings (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Bronze wound strings
tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks, 2 Days ago Karma: 1  
Thanks, Glen, for the information on suitable strings. Yes, the experiments with strings may be expensive, but the result is worthwhile.
Thank you also for raising the modification of the nut to have 8 strings of the same scale length. I hesitated to mention it to Sean so quickly, and members may be a little irritated by my mentioning this important improvement, yet again. I have to say that having the nut so modified completely changed how I approached new pieces. For example, in looking through a piece in tablature, prior to the modification, I would tend to avoid pieces requiring sharpening the 8th. In many cases, it is possible to fret the 8th string at the 1st fret in pieces requiring a sharp 8th, so, no retuning!
Also, although I have one 10s in E, tuning a tone up in F sharp gives an attractive brightness and reduces the over-ring of the four basses in baroque/romantic tuning. Hannabach supply good strings for this tuning for strings 2 to 10, but an excellent choice for the first string is a low tension D'Addario top E, which tunes up to F sharp and remains stable and long-lived. Of course, F sharp is close to renaissance/baroque pitch for G.
James.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks, 2 Days ago Karma: 3  
James,

I actually use the D'Addario light tension (J43) for strings 1-3 now. The wound basses of that set end up being a bit too high in tension, but those first three strings are just right. I will say though that my particular 10-string likes high tension strings, so the J43 trebles work just fine tuned up a whole step. I also prefer the feel of those strings to the D'Addario rectified, which is the only option when ordering their single strings.

I have tried just about every conceivable tuning on my 10-string and keep coming back to that F# tuning, basically treating my 10-string like an alto guitar. It's fantastic.

Glen

Ronin Minstrel (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks, 2 Days ago Karma: 0  
Hi Glen, James,

I've missed a few posts, so allow me to catch up.

On the subject of strings, I've just put on a set of Aranjuez Classic Gold on the main six. They have a really nice, smooth feel, and the tension is just below that of the D'Addario EJ46 set that I had on before. As to the tone, the trebles are a bit brighter and clearer than the EJ46s. The basses are more balanced, a bit warmer than the D'Addarios. They are bronze wound. For strings 7-10, I'm using Savarez 5207R (a 0.050 D string), and for string 11, a Savarez 5208R (a 0.59 C string). The tension of the extended basses seems balanced with that of the main 6, and I can clearly see where the main 6 end. I am waiting for them to settle in before I pronounce judgement on the tone, but I'm certainly getting more volume than with the set I mentioned in my first post.

On the subject of tuning, I had an interesting idea to solve the problem of fretted extended bass notes without altering the nut (although that seems an excellent solution). Use a re-entrant tuning, tuning the 7th string a fourth below the 6th (D concert). The basses (7-10) would then be tuned D-F-Eb-C-Bb. Admittedly, this would take some getting used to, and some experimentation with string gauges, but think of the choices it would give you. I may try this with my next string change.

Not having a 10-string, I can't weigh in on the F# tuning, but it sounds like fun.

Cheers,
Sean

tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1  
Glen,
I was interested in your view of the role of the low tension D'Addarios for the 1st three strings. I have never tried that combination. Next time I need to re-string, will try this.
I have tried Yepes tuning on my 10s's a couple of times, but have been disappointed in the claimed enhancement of the 'black notes' on the first string. Indeed, on some guitars I have found the effect underwhelming. In addition, I have found it unsuitable for my preferred repertoire, viz., renaissance/late renaissance lute music. Other than the question of pitch, the bass line of much of this music becomes largely awkward or unplayable. Against this finding, if one is prepared to lose the 'enhancement' in Yepes tuning, tuning down the 9th and 10th strings half a tone, does make the repertoire of the 11c baroque lute much more playable than is often the case with 'baroque'/romantic tuning of the four basses.
I am forever grateful to Peter Rueffer, leader of the Cambridge Guitar Orchestra, for introducing me to a tone-up F sharp tuning. It has suited every 10s I have, including a sweet-toned, but bass heavy 10s Ramirez when in baroque/romantic tuning, turning it into a balanced instrument of good projection. I was first alerted to the brilliant effect of this tuning when hearing PR and another, now deceased, English guitarist, Chris Kilvington, playing some Scarlatti sonatas with this tuning on a 10s. I suspect if players of standard 10s's would try F sharp tuning, they would not go back to E tuning, whether romantic or Yepes.
James.

tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1  
Sean,
Using a re-entrant tuning on the 7th string may well work, i.e., help with the fretting of the nominal C sharp, etc.. This is how 7s guitars and 7c renaissance lutes achieve an effective bass line. It would certainly be worth a try for several musical genres. Although fretting the 8th is often workable, I have in some cases found that re-tuning of the 8th is the only viable option.
With regard to Savarez strings, I have not tried them for many years. My experience of their six sets was that they were mostly well above average. Unfortunately, I found that their extended range bass strings had very poor durability, often lasting only a few days. Of course, quality may have been improved.
James.

Ronin Minstrel (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Bronze wound strings 3 Weeks ago Karma: 0  
James,

Thanks for the tips on tuning. I will let you know how it works out for me on the next string change. I think I will try the Aranjuez "C" string that Glen mentioned, and hopefully use it as a "B" or "D" on string 7 as needed. Some pieces I want to play are written for 7 string with some 7 note strummed chords, so the tuning is pretty important for those.

As to the durability of the Savarez strings, I am on my second set of basses with no issues. So far, so good.

Sean

Go to top Post Reply