Tickbox for luthiers
List of altoguitar recordings
Personal message system
Working memberlist
Connections
New forum
New Gallery
New download section

Be sure to read the message SITE UPDATED in the forums.

Main Menu
Home
Forum
Downloads
Gallery
Recordings
Links
Contact Us
Login
We have 8 guests and 1 member online
Support altoguitar.com
Forum
Info help for luthier (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Info help for luthier
Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Info help for luthier 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3  
lenlaviolette wrote:
QUOTE:
Thanks again James. My client wants to stay with 7 strings at the nut. It turns out that after all of my gyrations and scale drawings, my design is so similar to others that it is spooky. Still not sure of double-top or solid Engelmann, also considering cedar. Any input there?

Here are a couple examples where it'd be handy to have the nut go across 8 strings instead of just 7 so that you could fret the 8th string normally. Check out measure 12 in this Prelude. With a normal alto guitar where the nut only goes across 7 strings you need to do an awkward behind the nut fret for the C# bass. It's possible, but it'd be nice to fret it normally.
http://tinyurl.com/qfl47m3

Here is a Weiss Prelude. The one problem spot was measure 13, where you have a chord from bottom to top of E# G# B D.

This is a situation where if you had the 8th string the same length as 1-7 you could fret the E# on that string and play that chord with no problem. Without being able to fret the 8th string you're forced to use the 6th or 7th string, and that chord is too hard to fret.
http://tinyurl.com/qgmk52b

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
lenlaviolette (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Info help for luthier 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
Thanks for the valuable input Glen. I am using all this info carefully. I appreciate all of it. This thing is evolving into a very interesting project. Cheers!

tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Info help for luthier 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1  
Hello Len,
My impression of your client is that he is not an experienced arranger for multi-string guitars, nor for that matter, extensively familiar with lute music in the original tablature. However, he is welcome to find out the hard way! That said, it is an easy matter for an experienced luthier to modify the nut to accommodate 8 rather than 7 strings of equal length.
As to cedar, its character is very different to spruce. Spruce has a drier more focused sound. I prefer spruce for the lute repertoire, and also arrangements of older music, e.g. pieces originally for harpsichord. To my ears, cedar, with an occasional exception, has too romantic a sound. It is fine for the Spanish romantics, jazz, and similar. What one likes is, of course, a very personal choice.
Double tops? Not convinced that that this innovation ever produced a truly exceptional guitar.
James.

Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Info help for luthier 2 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
Speaking of double tops - I have a 630mm Hill Performance double top. Every time I get it out to play it I am taken that it is so punchy for a short scale guitar. But I always end up concluding that the double top doesn't tickle my brain like traditional tops. It gives that initial punch of attack when you play a note, but there is no warmth or variety of color. When I get out one of my other guitars to play I feel a sense of relief to hear music again.

That's the only double top I have every played, so perhaps others are different. As far as your client goes, why take a chance? Go with a traditional top.

Glen

lenlaviolette (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Info help for luthier 2 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
Thanks for the info Glen. I am not totally committed to double tops either. There definitely is an initial response to them but I am not sure of them either. Lots of guys love them though. Definitely more trouble to make. I had been leaning toward a solid top (he wants spruce). I think you just sealed the deal for me. Best regards Glen.

Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Info help for luthier 2 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3  
Len,

I don't know if you're still reading this forum, but in case you are ...

I just saw a couple videos of the altoguitar you made. It looks like it turned out very nice. Tell us about it. What worked, and what would you do differently if you make another?

Glen

Go to top Post Reply