Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 2
TOPIC: Re:Asturias Alto Guitar
silvanig (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Asturias Alto Guitar 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3  
Hi Tommyollie,

My 13 string alto was indeed my first multi string guitar. I was fed up with simulating basses in Weiss pieces by playing octaves. For details see thread 'Extended Carulli Decacorde pitch on alto guitar?'. I wanted to have the necessary basses available, and I wanted to have them all. To go for a 13 string instrument was a logical consequence. So why consider buying an 11 string alto?

Before ordering the instrument I contacted all members of this forum, of whom I knew that they had Stromberg instruments, and asked for their experiences. Some of these also had 13 string altos. All responses were positive.

Following James' recommendation, I demanded a change in configuration from 7 plus 6 to 8 plus 5. I considered this to be a minor change, in all respects, and the luthier saw no problems.

I am completely satisfied with the instrument.

What was brave, to start with a 13 string alto, or to demand the change in configuration ?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
tommyollie (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Asturias Alto Guitar 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2  
I think it was brave to jump straight from 6 strings to 13 and I totally agree that maximum versatility is achieved by the 8/5 configuration. In my case I wasn't feeling confident that I would get on with a multi string guitar. I was considering 8 strings, 10 strings before discovering the alto and opting 11 strings. If I get on well with the instrument who knows,in a few years, I may move on to a 13 string model.(b]silvanig wrote:[/b]
QUOTE:
Hi Tommyollie,

My 13 string alto was indeed my first multi string guitar. I was fed up with simulating basses in Weiss pieces by playing octaves. For details see thread 'Extended Carulli Decacorde pitch on alto guitar?'. I wanted to have the necessary basses available, and I wanted to have them all. To go for a 13 string instrument was a logical consequence. So why consider buying an 11 string alto?

Before ordering the instrument I contacted all members of this forum, of whom I knew that they had Stromberg instruments, and asked for their experiences. Some of these also had 13 string altos. All responses were positive.

Following James' recommendation, I demanded a change in configuration from 7 plus 6 to 8 plus 5. I considered this to be a minor change, in all respects, and the luthier saw no problems.

I am completely satisfied with the instrument.

What was brave, to start with a 13 string alto, or to demand the change in configuration ?

michaelkennedy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Asturias Alto Guitar 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
I personally own an Asuturias, and have had the pleasure of trying several of their guitars of different price range. I absolutely love them. I'm not to certain about their altos though.So I really can't comment on that matter.

Last Edit: 2014/10/09 07:24 By Toffe.
Go to top Post Reply