Tickbox for luthiers
List of altoguitar recordings
Personal message system
Working memberlist
Connections
New forum
New Gallery
New download section

Be sure to read the message SITE UPDATED in the forums.

Main Menu
Home
Forum
Downloads
Gallery
Recordings
Links
Contact Us
Login
We have 5 guests online
No Users Online
Support altoguitar.com
Forum
Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies
tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies 1 Year, 9 Months ago Karma: 1  
Glen,
Thank you very much for this. Let us hope this straightforward modification is taken up by many others in the Forum. It really is a major improvement.
James.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies 1 Year, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
tenvec wrote:
QUOTE:
Glen,
Thank you very much for this. Let us hope this straightforward modification is taken up by many others in the Forum. It really is a major improvement.
James.

Yesterday was the first day I had a chance to play my alto seriously since I got it back with the 8th string extension removed. It's fantastic. I have discovered several places in the pieces I play where I can play the bass note on the 7th string, but playing it on the 8th string is better (easier to damp). For example, in a situation where the basses go from low D to low B, by playing the D on the 8th string you avoid that skip in strings and the damp happens automatically. Much smoother.

I reckon the reason Georg Bolin designed the guitar having only strings 1-7 the same length is to make it possible to use a 6th string for all the basses. When you remove the 8th string extension you really need to go to a thicker string. I have found a .045W is perfect. That's slightly thicker than a 6th string.

This modification makes the altoguitar so much better. It's not just a minor improvement, in my opinion. Being able to fret the 8th string is huge.

Glen

tenvec (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies 1 Year, 9 Months ago Karma: 1  
Glen,
The information on the D'Addatio string, NYL 045W, is "the finishing touch". Thank you.
While Bolin, undoubtedly, did have did have the wish to use the same 6th string for all the basses, historical instruments, such as the attiorbato and archlute, often only had 7 courses over the fret board, some only had 6!
James.

Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies 1 Year, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
The 045W string has the feel of normal tension. I think you could go thicker to a 048W with no problem if you like a high tension string.

Glen (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:How to deal with the basses in Dowland's fantasies 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 3  
I have decided that a .048W is better that a .045W for the 8th string that is now without an extension and the same length as 1 through 7.

The 045W was fine played open, but when I fretted it I found it wasn't quite meaty enough. The 048W is perfect. A fretted note is nice and solid, and open it sounds and feels just right.

Just in case anybody was paying attention.

https://flic.kr/p/AwWWaz

Last Edit: 2016/02/20 02:27 By Glen.
Go to top Post Reply